We believe socio-economic diversity is an essential ingredient in the meaningful educational experience we offer at East Bay Waldorf School. Everyone in our community benefits from learning from each other. Our goal is to welcome families who are genuinely interested in the education we offer—knowing that each such family brings unique and important gifts to our community.
We expect parents to give their children’s education very high priority in their financial planning and to consider seriously all family resources and assets, including possible help from such sources as extended family and grandparents, before applying for financial aid. East Bay Waldorf School families know that investing in their child’s PreK-8 education has a lasting impact.
We determine each family’s financial commitment in equitable proportion to the family’s financial resources, using fair and objective criteria and processes. We look forward to working with your family.
- Tuition adjustment is available to families from Kindergarten through Grade 8
- Applications must be received by January 20th, 2018.
- Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed after the process for timely applications has been completed. Any remaining funds will then be awarded to qualified late applicants.
- Tuition adjustment does not include application or enrollment fees.
How to apply
East Bay Waldorf School has contracted with SmartTuition/SmartAid to process applications and help evaluate a family’s request for tuition adjustment. SmartAid calculates an estimate of the amount a family can contribute to educational expenses based on the financial information provided. This estimate, along with our tuition adjustment questionnaire, enables us to make fair decisions.
- Complete the Tuition Adjustment Questionnaire
- Return this form with your Enrollment Application
- Learn what you’ll need for your SmartAid application
- Set up your SMART AID account
- Complete your SmartAid application
Tuition adjustment must be applied for annually. While the school cannot guarantee the same level of financial support year to year, the goal is to continue offering an award consistent with a family’s demonstrated need whenever possible.
For more information about our tuition or adjustment process, contact our Business Manager, MaryAnn Schumann.
- Returning families must Online forms must be complete and uploaded by Friday, February 16, 2018 (for returning families).
- Any applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling, aid-available basis.
Source of Funds
Funds for financial aid are made possible through EBWS Operating budget, supported by fundraising. Tuition covers 85% of our operating costs so it is a vital support to our ongoing operations. Financial Aid awards are made on the basis of demonstrated financial need and no full-tuition awards are given. While award size varies, we granted over half-a-million dollars in financial aid awards last year. It’s important to note that because of our desire to provide tuition adjustment, the school typically relies on Annual Fund donations to balance our budget.
The Basic Fund
The BASIC Fund is a good source for additional tuition assistance; several of our students received assistance from them for the school year. If you have a new student attending our school for the first time (this includes siblings of already registered students), you are eligible to apply for assistance from the BASIC Fund. Please check their website for more information and to access their application. Please note: even if you receive the full amount from the BASIC Fund, it will not cover reduced tuition for the school year.